Think of it as the “speed dating” equivalent to your grandmother’s high school sweetheart marriage mentorships of yesteryear.
When we think of mentoring programs, we are often focused on the image of a long-term, exclusive relationship. But mentorships are highly malleable, and can be tailored to fit your company’s needs. “Just-in-time mentoring” has become a popular trend because it meets the demands of our fast-paced, remote-work business culture today.
Here’s the lowdown on Just-in-Time Mentoring with all the buzzwords you need to pitch: programs use microlearning, a holistic approach for skill-based learning which depends on small learning units. We develop short-term, highly focused strategies, designed to improve the mentee’s skills and comprehension. Just-in-Time Coaching sessions help employees who have hit a roadblock and need immediate help from an experienced perspective to move forward.
What are the benefits?
- Meet an immediate need. Some projects require your employees to learn a new skill or broaden their knowledge NOW. Just-in-Time Mentorships skip the small talk and get right to the goods.
- Enhance bench strength. Like any other short-term educational enhancement, each microlearning session enhances an employee’s overall value. Nothing feels better than improvement.
- Build employee’s exposure. Mentees and mentors’ networks will grow quickly in an environment that utilizes numerous short-term relationships over one, long-term arrangement.
- Develop a culture of learning and collaboration. Just-in-Time Coaching sessions promote the overall idea that your company values collaboration, education and celebrates engagement and the circulation of new ideas.
How do you know if just-in-time mentorships are right for your company?
- Your company is expanding quickly. If management can’t keep up with all the new faces, you’ll need to work extra hard to make sure connections are bridged with new employees. Furthermore, you’ll have constant onboarding to worry about and a group of fresh potential mentees who made need help adapting to their new environment.
- Your business is in a field (hello, technology!) that requires employees to be constantly up-to-date on the latest advancements in order to stay competitive.
- Your employees are scattered across large geographic and temporal variables. We’ve discussed the significance of mentorship for remote workers in the past. But Just-in-Time Mentoring can allow your employees to make worthwhile connections with more people in a shorter amount of time. Especially if your team has erratic schedules or are always out of the office, microlearning sessions provide an opportunity to fill the gap and improve your employees’ performance.
- You’re having trouble finding mentors who want to commit to a long-term mentorship relationship. We all know that some upper level employees don’t exactly jump at the chance to become mentors, especially when it’s a new component of your workplace culture. Just-in-Time Mentorships provide a less intimidating way for folks to dip their toes in the mentoring water.
If this seems like a lot of work on the administrative side, it is! After all, we’re talking more participants, more connections, shorter term commitments, and more progress tracking. Fortunately, eMentorConnect® is here to make your life simpler. Our KNOX® platform can enable your company’s just-in-time mentoring program, connecting colleagues on topics of interest with just a click.